Tuesday, December 07, 2004

There are Times. . . .

When work consumes me.

When my family seems far away.

When my life seems a harried blur.

And then I read the words of St. Augustine from his Confessions:

And in all these things over which I range as I am consulting you I find no secure place for my soul except in you, and in you I pray that what is scattered in me may be brought together so that nothing of me may depart from you.

Some of us choose "scattered" lives -- or at least have yet to master our choices for His Glory.

Others' lives are not lives many would choose. Be they broken bodies the gift of medicine mends to the extent God allows, or broken souls, what a prayer St. Augustine leaves for those of us "scattered" in the many ways possible.

"That what is scattered in me may be brought together so that nothing of me may depart from you."

"That nothing of me may depart from you."

A timeless and boundless Love.

"No secure place for my soul except in you."

And Peace.